Behavioral Health Services Only (BHSO)


Our plan offers a range of behavioral health benefits. These include mental health services and drug or alcohol treatment. View the benefits below to see all that it offers. It's for people who meet income requirements and are eligible for Washington Apple Health (Medicaid) but receive physical health services some other way.

To find out if you qualify, visit or call 1-855-WAFINDER (1-855-923-4633) TTY/TTD 1-855-627-9604.

We can also assist with interpreter services, including American Sign Language. To ask for help, please call 1-877-542-8997, TTY 711, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Clallam, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Island, Jefferson, King, Kitsap, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, Pierce, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish, Thurston, Wahkiakum, and Whatcom.

Benefits & Features

Behavioral Health

Behavioral health is as important as physical health. You are eligible for behavioral health services, also called mental health services.

Behavioral health services can help you with personal problems that may affect you and your family. These problems may be stress, depression, anxiety or using drugs or alcohol.

Your physical health benefits are from another medical carrier. If you already have a Primary Care Provider (PCP), talk to them today about any health or behavioral health problems you have. We will coordinate your mental health and drug and alcohol treatment with your physical health treatment provider, if necessary.

You don't need a referral from your PCP to see behavioral health specialists in your plan or to access drug and alcohol treatment services.

There are some treatments and services that need preapproval before you can get them.

Search for a Behavioral Health Provider

Required care is 100% covered. If you need behavioral health care UnitedHealthcare Community Plan can help coordinate your care.

We cover:

  • Evaluation and assessment
  • Medication management and monitoring
  • Individual and group counseling
  • Peer support
  • Family counseling
  • Education about mental health, treatments and medications
  • Rehab case management
  • Withdrawal management (detox)
  • Opiate replacement treatment
  • Case management

Additional mental health resources can be found here. Find the balance, support and care you need to live the healthiest life possible.

You may also be eligible for additional grant funded services such as care coordination, family hardship services and recovery support services. These provide comprehensive community-based services that supplement your current benefits.

If you need help finding mental health services or if you feel that your rights have been violated, please call your Regional Behavioral Health Ombuds. An Ombuds is someone who is hired to assist you with any difficulties with your services or with getting services. Services are free and all information is kept confidential.

For more information on services available, please refer to your Member Handbook:

Member Handbook (English)
Member Handbok (Español)
Member Handbook (Russian)
Member Handbook (Chinese)
Member Handbook (Vietnamese)

What if I have a behavioral health crisis?

You are always covered for a behavioral health emergency. An emergency means a behavioral health condition that comes on suddenly, is life threatening, is painful, or other severe symptoms that cannot wait to be treated. You may have a mental health, drug, or alcohol use emergency.

Emergency services are covered anywhere in the United States. If you think you have a life threatening emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital location where emergency providers can help you.

As soon as possible, call us to arrange for follow-up behavioral health care after an emergency.
A mental health crisis is a moment when someone's behavior can put themselves or others in danger, especially if they do not get help, such as:

  • Threatens to or talks about hurting or killing themselves
  • Feels hopeless
  • Feels rage or uncontrolled anger
  • Feels trapped, like there is no way out
  • Engages in reckless behaviors
  • Feels anxious, agitated, or unable to sleep
  • Increases alcohol or drug use
  • Withdraws from friends and family
  • Encounters dramatic mood changes
  • Sees no reason for living

Crisis Services:
If you think you have an emergency, no matter where you are, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital location where emergency providers can help you. As soon as possible, call your doctor or behavioral health provider to arrange for follow-up care after the emergency is over.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, your ID card has a phone number to access crisis services in your area. Our list of crisis services phone numbers are available in English and Español

Here are additional Behavioral Health Services and Crisis Intervention Contacts:

For a State Crisis Lines directory, visit:

Washington Recovery Help Line: 1-866-789-1511

Teen Link: 1-866-833-6546

Suicide Prevention: 1-800-273-8255
TTY Users: 1-800-799-4TTY (4889)

Additional health resources can be found here. Find the balance, support and care you need to live the healthiest life possible.

Member Handbook (English)
Member Handbok (Español)
Member Handbook (Russian)
Member Handbook (Chinese)
Member Handbook (Vietnamese)

Do you or a family member have a serious health problem? If your health needs qualify then our care managers are in your corner. They will:

  • Explain medical terms in plain language.
  • Coordinate your doctor appointments.
  • Provide your care team with your medical records.
  • Interpreter Services are available. If needed, you can have an interpreter present at yours or your child's behavioral health visits.

Your care manager will stay with you throughout the medical journey. He or she will:

  • Think beyond your medical needs.
  • Make sure you have support at home.

View Advance Directives in English | Español.

Get extra benefits and support. You can rely on:

  • Language Help. Connect to a translator through Member Services.
  • Interpreters. Have an interpreter with you at your child’s behavioral visits.
  • Quitting Tobacco.Coaches and supplies to help you quit using tobacco.
  • Member Services. Your benefit questions are answered 24/7.

For information on additional benefits and services you may have please contact the Health Care Authority at 1-800-562-3022, TTY 711.

Choice of Behavioral Health Provider

Your Behavioral Health Provider

You can get a wide range of treatments and services for mental health and drug and alcohol misuse. You do not need a referral from your Primary Care Provider (PCP) to see a network behavioral health provider or to access drug and alcohol services.

Use the Doctor Lookup tool to find behavioral health providers near you.

Your Primary Care Provider (PCP)
This is the person you should see for most of your care. These services are not covered by this plan. You receive access to these services some other way. Talk to your PCP about any behavioral health concerns you may have. Your PCP can help you decide the right options for you.


Your behavioral health provider and you need to understand each other. Not speaking English well makes this difficult. We can arrange for an interpreter to be at your appointments.

We also have people in member services who speak more than one language. Chances are, we have someone who speaks your language or they can connect you with our interpreter service which covers more than 170 languages.

Language Help

You can receive information in your preferred language. Just ask. We also have people at our customer service service centers who speak more than one language. Chances are, we have someone who speaks your language or they can connect you with our interpreter service which covers more than 170 languages.

Member Services

Sometimes you might need a little help understanding your health care options. With us, you have someone you can call. We'll answer your questions simply and completely.

We can also help you find:

  • Mental health providers.
  • Substance use disorder treatment services.

Mental Health Services for Children and Youth

Problems such as depression and anxiety can also be challenging for children and teens.

There are no costs for covered services. We have therapists and doctors for youth and teens that can address their specific behavioral health or substance use. Help get them extra support to live a heathier life.

Look for behavioral health providers or call 1-877-542-8997, TTY 711.

Additional Resources

Teens can connect with teens during specific hours: 866-833-6546,,

No Cost for Covered Services

Get the quality health care you deserve at no cost for covered services. You get:

  • Care from highly skilled and compassionate behavioral health providers.
  • Treatments at respected facilities.


When you have questions about your health care, you can call a nurse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 1-877-543-3409 (TTY 711).

Our nurses will:

  • Listen to symptoms.
  • Help with self-care.
  • Advise you about getting the type of care you need.
  • Help you know when to go to the emergency room or urgent care clinic.

Quitting Tobacco

You know the bad health effects of smoking. You know you need to quit. We support you while you quit with coaches and supplies. The only thing you won't get from us is a lecture. Call 1-866-QUIT-4-LIFE (1-866-784-8454) Or visit


Get a ride – at no cost to you - to and from health care locations. That includes trips to:

  • Doctor or behavorial health provider visits.

Apple Health pays for transportation services to and from needed non-emergency health care appointments. If you have a current ProviderOne Services Card, you may be eligible for transportation. Call the transportation provider (broker) in your area to learn about services and limitations. Your regional broker will arrange the most appropriate, least costly transportation for you. See the list of brokers

Member Resources

View Available Resources
Washington Apple Health / UnitedHealthcare logos

Learn More

Behavioral Health Services Only (BHSO)

Check Eligibility


Call to apply today.

Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm PT

TTY: 711

Learn about the steps to apply.


Already a member?

You have access to our member-only website. Print ID cards and more. View our handbook below.