UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
The New York State Medicaid Managed Care Plan is offered through UnitedHealthcare Community Plan. It’s for New York State residents who meet the income or disability requirements.
To find out if UnitedHealthcare Community Plan is offered in your county, please call 1-800-493-4647. A representative will contact you to schedule an appointment to help you apply.
More information on eligibility and enrollment can be found on the New York State of Health website.
For more information about Child Health Plus or Medicaid, call New York Health Options at 1-800-541-2831.
This plan is available in the following counties: Albany, Bronx, Broome, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Dutchess, Erie, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Genesee, Greene, Herkimer, Jefferson, Kings, Lewis, Livingston, Madison, Monroe, Nassau, New York, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Orange, Orleans, Oswego, Queens, Rensselaer, Richmond, Rockland, Schenectady, Seneca, St. Lawrence, Suffolk, Tioga, Ulster, Warren, Wayne, Westchester, Wyoming and Yates.
Benefits & Features
Well and Sick Care
Get the care you need to stay healthy — or to get better if you are injured or sick. That includes:
Choice of Doctor. Use “Doctor Lookup” to see if your doctor is in our network or to find a new one.
- Medicines. Prescription drugs are covered with a small copay.
- Dental. We cover cleanings, checkups and dental work.
- Well Visits. Annual checkups can help keep you healthy.
Vision, Dental and Hearing Care
Make sure your sight, teeth, speech and hearing are at their best. Benefits include:
- Vision. Covers eye exams and glasses.
- Dental. We cover cleanings, checkups and dental work.
- Hearing. Screenings and therapies, if needed, are provided.
Home Care and Supplies
Get the medical care and equipment you need to recover safely at home. Benefits include:
- Care Coordinator. Someone to get you the services you need to recover safely.
- Personal Care. Services to help you heal after illness or injury.
- Home Meal Delivery. If you can’t safely make meals, we’ll provide them.
- Equipment and Supplies. In-home medical and safety equipment are covered.
- Nurse Visits. Care after surgery or illness to recover at home.
Nothing is more important than the health and well-being of you and your baby. That’s why our plan benefits include:
- Choice of Doctor. Find an OB-GYN you trust in our network.
- Prenatal Visits. Care for you before your baby is born.
- Healthy First Steps®. Extra support to help you and your baby stay healthy.
- Choice of Birth Center. Pick from hospitals across New York.
Care for Conditions
If you have special health care needs, you can count on us. Our plan will provide the extra care and services needed. Benefits include:
- Mental Health. Counseling and other treatments are covered.
- Case Management. If you qualify, get personal help managing health conditions.
- Asthma and COPD Care. Exams, testing and supplies are covered.
Adult Day Care
Companionship is important. Adult day care provides care and companionship for seniors who need extra help during the day. Caregivers also benefit, knowing their loved one is well cared for and safe during the day.
Adult day care can provide:
- Social connections and friendship.
- Bathing and personal care.
Asthma and COPD Care
Individual care to help control asthma, allergies or COPD symptoms.
Do you or your child have trouble managing asthma, allergies or COPD symptoms? A nurse who specializes in breathing issues can really help. You’ll get a customized treatment plan and medicine to:
- Manage flare-ups.
- Reduce symptoms.
- Let you or your child stay active.
Do you or your child have a serious health problem or a high-risk pregnancy? If so, and you or your child qualifies, we offer case managers that can:
- Explain medical terms in plain language.
- Coordinate your doctor appointments.
- Provide your care team with your medical records.
Your case manager will stay with you or your child throughout the medical journey. He or she will:
- Think beyond your medical needs.
- Make sure you have support at home.
So you or your child can focus on getting better.
Choice of Birth Center
Where you have your baby is an important choice. That’s why you can pick from hundreds of hospitals across New York.
We encourage you to tour the hospital’s birthing center. This way you will be familiar with it. And you’ll be more relaxed when you deliver your baby.
Choice of Doctor
You get a primary care physician (PCP), who is your main doctor. Use the Doctor Lookup tool to see if your doctor is in our network.
If you don't have a doctor or if your doctor is not in our network, we can help you find a new one close to you.
Your PCP is your main doctor for:
- Preventive care.
- Treatment if you are sick or injured.
- Referrals to specialists for certain conditions.
Checkups and emergency care are covered.
Exams and cleanings every six months help keep teeth and gums strong and healthy. If there is a dental problem that needs to be fixed, that’s covered as well.
If you have diabetes, you may need insulin, needles, wipes and glucose strips. We cover all that and more.
Our plan also steps up with services to help you manage your diabetes, including:
- Classes on keeping diabetes in control.
- Coordinating doctor care.
- Nutrition and diet.
Durable Medical Equipment
Your health and safety at home are important.
Our plan covers medical equipment ordered by your doctor or case manager. This can include supplies like:
- Diabetic supplies.
- Hospital beds.
- Wheelchairs or walkers.
Emergency Response System
If you are at risk for a fall or sudden illness, an emergency call system can really help. It sends an urgent request for someone to check on you and help you.
A loss can take many different forms. And you may get lots of suggestions on what to do. Grieving is part of the healing process.
If a recent loss has made you sad or unhappy, help is available. Our plan offers counseling and support during the grieving process. Our team will work with you to find a counselor or program to help you adjust to your loss.
Healthy First Steps
You may receive help and advice from your mom, aunts, sisters and girlfriends. Yet every pregnancy is different. This program will support you through your pregnancy.
We help you:
- Find a doctor for you and your baby.
- Learn resources for nutrition, fitness and safety.
- Get supplies, including breast pumps for nursing moms.
Trouble hearing can affect your everyday life in many ways. Our plan includes services and support to help protect your hearing.
Our plan covers:
- Exams, therapy and tests.
- Hearing aids.
Home Meal Delivery
Taking care of the basics, like cooking, can be hard to do yourself after an illness or sickness. If you are receiving personal care services, you may need extra help to get through the tough times. We’ll step in to bring nutritious meals to you. You can get up to 10 meals delivered each year.
After surgery or a serious illness you may need extra help with day-to-day tasks like cleaning, cooking or dressing. You may even need an in-home medical visit to check on how well you are healing. With approval, our plan covers:
- Medical equipment like hospital beds, walkers or wheelchairs.
- Disposable medical supplies.
- In-home medical visit
This plan pays for all expenses related to a hospital stay, so you can rest and heal.
Hospitalization coverage includes:
- Nursing care.
- Room and board.
- Supplies and equipment.
- Treatment and therapies.
- Diagnostic tests and exams.
And after you leave the hospital, you are not alone. We make sure you get follow-up care to continue healing at home.
Our plan covers prescription drugs and refills with a small copayment. Your copay is:
- $1.00 for generic drugs.
- $3.00 for brand name drugs.
Over-the-counter medicines with a written order from your doctor are available for a copayment of $0.50 for each medicine.
And we make getting your medicine easy. You can fill your prescriptions at:
- Local pharmacies.
- Services that deliver right to your door.
Sometimes you might need a little help understanding your health care options. With us, you have someone you can call 24/7. We’ll answer your questions simply and completely.
We can also help you find:
- Home care providers.
- Dentists and vision providers.
- Adult day health centers.
Mental Health/Substance Use Disorder
Addiction can happen to anyone, any family, at any time according to the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS). UnitedHealthcare is here to assist you in all your healthcare needs. We have trained professionals who are experienced in understanding Substance Use Disorder and able to help you get treatment or give you information that will help you make decisions about your healthcare. You or your provider can call Optum Behavioral Health anytime for help at 1-888-291-2506.
Covered services include:
- All inpatient mental health and substance use disorder services (including alcohol and substance use disorder).
- Most outpatient mental health services (contact plan for specifics).
- Medicaid recipients who receive SSI or who are certified blind or disabled get mental health and substance use disorder services from any Medicaid provider by using their Medicaid Benefit Card.
- Detoxification services are covered by UnitedHealthcare Community Plan as a benefit.
You will not have a copayment for care and services covered by our plan, other than for prescription drugs. That means you will pay nothing for covered services, including:
- Preventive care.
- Annual checkups.
- Routine dental or vision care.
You pay nothing for your child’s care and services covered by our plan.
Sometimes you may need continued care after you leave the hospital or urgent care. If your health is at risk after a serious illness, surgery or injury, a nurse will visit you at home to:
- Provide medical care for you.
- Answer your questions and concerns.
Healthy eating goes a long way to helping you stay at your best. A nutritionist can meet with you to review your eating habits and food choices.
You’ll come away with new ideas for:
- Making good choices for quick meals and snacks.
- Preparing healthy meals on a budget.
Knowing what’s wrong and finding it early can make all the difference. Our plan covers:
- Labs and testing.
- X-rays, scans and other imaging.
We’ll help you get the information needed to help improve your health or be your best.
Sometimes the basics are hard to do yourself after an illness or injury. If needed, we provide someone to help with:
A pregnancy is a journey you'll want to make with the help of friends, family and a pregnancy doctor, or OB-GYN.
All of your recommended prenatal clinical visits and tests are covered.
At these visits, the clinic will:
- Make sure you and your baby are healthy.
- Explain what to expect at each stage of your pregnancy.
- Answer your questions
You know the bad health effects of smoking. You know you need to quit. We support you while you quit with the help of coaches and supplies. The only thing you won’t get from us is a lecture.
After a serious illness, surgery or injury, you may extra nursing and therapy. If needed, our plan covers short stays in a rehabilitation center where you can heal. Included are:
- Nursing home services.
- 24-hour nursing care.
- Help with activities of daily living.
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy.
Do you have family members or friends who care for you at home? If so, we want to support their hard work too. That’s why we provide respite care to give your caregivers a rest. Respite care offers caregivers time away from their loved one who is ill or has special care needs.
Shots and Immunizations
Routine shots help keep you healthy. So, our plan covers:
- Recommended shots and vaccines.
- Diagnostic tests and exams.
See life more clearly with routine eye exams and glasses, if needed. We also include:
- Prescription lenses.
- Medicaid approved frames.
- New eyeglasses every two years.
This benefit is offered by March Vision care.
Well visits with your doctor can help you stay healthy. These visits can catch health problems early, so they can be treated. Preventive services include:
- Checkups for adults and children.
- Well-baby care.
- Care for women expecting a baby.
- Routine shots and tests.
There are no copayments for preventive care.
Medicaid Managed Care
Call to enroll today.
The UnitedHealthcare Community Plan specialists can answer questions and help you enroll.
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. EST.1-888-617-8979
Get the details.
Visit the UnitedHealthcare Community Plan site for more information on eligibility and enrollment.New York State Department of Health