Shortcut Navigation: end skip-nav
UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
UnitedHealthcare Community Plan


Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do in an emergency?

Medicaid is a program for people with low income who meet certain eligibility requirements and programs can vary from state-to-state.

Who is eligible for Texas Medicaid?

To qualify for Medicaid, you or your children must:

  • Be a Texas resident
  • Be a U.S. citizen or a legal resident
  • Meet certain resource and income limits
  • Fit into one of these groups:
    • Families and children with limited income
    • Children
    • Pregnant women
    • Non-U.S. citizen needing emergency medical services
    • Children or pregnant women who are medically needy due to high medical bills
    • People who get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) from Social Security Administration
    • Persons having low-income and needing long-term services and supports or help with daily activities
How do I apply for Medicaid?

There are different ways to apply for Medicaid:

  • If you are a person with a disability or a person over 65 years of age with limited income and receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you do not have to apply for Medicaid. You will receive Medicaid automatically when you receive SSI. Go to your local Social Security Administration office to apply for SSI.
  • Applications for children (age 18 and younger) for CHIP or Children's Medicaid can be done over the phone, by mail, or by fax. You can get an application from the CHIP/Children's Medicaid website at, or by calling 1-877-543-7669.
  • All other persons must apply for Medicaid through the local HHSC office or a HHSC caseworker in a hospital or clinic.
What documents will I need when I apply for Medicaid?
  • Pay stubs or other papers to show all family members' monthly income.
  • Social Security numbers for all individuals who want Medicaid (not required for children under 6 months of age).
  • Papers that show your resources for all individuals who want Medicaid (for example: bank records, make, model, and year of your vehicles). This is not needed if you are applying because you are pregnant or if you are applying only for children (age 18 or younger).
  • Legal resident papers if you are not a U.S. citizen and you want Medicaid for yourself.
  • Proof of residence (for example: gas, electric, or water bill, letter from your landlord). This is not needed if you are applying only for children (age 18 and younger).
  • NOTE: You may ask a friend or other person you choose to be your "authorized representative" to apply for you. You may also ask for a language or a sign interpreter to help you apply. Ask for an interpreter when you call to set up an appointment.


Ready to get started?

Call Us:
TTY: 711

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 8 p.m. local time

Lookup Tools

Doctor Lookup

Search for doctors, hospitals and specialists.

Provider Directory
View Drug List

Find medications covered by this plan.

Pharmacy Lookup

Find a pharmacy near you.

Member Information

Member Website

Already a member? You have access to our member-only website. Print ID cards, chat with a nurse online, and more.

More Resources

Member Page

View more news, updates and resources for members.