Page Content Site Navigation Footer
UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
UnitedHealthcare Community Plan

Developmentally Disabled Program

Frequently Asked Questions

What is AHCCCS?

AHCCCS stands for Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System – Arizona's Medicaid agency. AHCCCS offers health care services to persons who have limited income, are pregnant and/or have disabilities.

What should I do if I change or drop my primary insurance, have a change of address or have a name change?

Notify your DDD Support Coordinator ASAP. Your support coordinator will notify AHCCCS by filling out a member change report which will allow your updated information to be corrected in UnitedHealthcare Community Plan's computer system.

Who do I call to add or change a primary care physician?

Please call customer service at 1-800-348-4058.

Who do I call if I need an ID card?

Please call customer service at 1-800-348-4058. Make sure you identify yourself or your family member as a DDD LTC recipient. Please also make sure that you verify your address with customer service.

Do I cancel my primary insurance now that I have UnitedHealthcare Community Plan?

No. You should keep both your primary insurance and Developmentally Disabled coverage. If you do choose to cancel your private insurance you will have to utilize RHBA for behavioral Health and CRS if your child has a qualifying diagnosis.

What if I lose my primary insurance due to a job loss or job change?

Please notify your support coordinator ASAP so we can make corrections in the computer system to avoid delays in filling prescriptions and or claims being processed.

Which insurance card should I show when visiting the doctor?

You should always show all of your insurance cards, your primary insurance and /or Medicare, UnitedHealthcare Community Plan, ALTCS, DD or CRS insurance card when visiting the doctor.

Do I need prior authorization from UnitedHealthcare Community Plan before a procedure?

Yes. Always ask your primary care provider (PCP) to call UnitedHealthcare Community Plan at 1-800-348-4058 for prior authorization before any specialist visit, medical procedure, etc.

If I have a private insurance and DDD LTC do I have to see a physician that takes both insurances?

No. You may see a physician that is contracted with your primary insurance that is not contracted with your UnitedHealthcare Community Plan. However, you may be required to pay your co-pays at the time of the visit and then send into UnitedHealthcare Community Plan for reimbursement. To avoid billing problems or having to pay deductibles or co-pays at the time of service it is better to go to a physician that accepts both of your insurances.

How do I get reimbursed for my co-pays if the physician that takes my private insurance does not take UnitedHealthcare Community Plan?

You will need to fill out a reimbursement claim form. There are two separate forms, one for office co-pays and one for prescription drugs. Please save all of your receipts and make a copy before sending in for reimbursement. UnitedHealthcare Community Plan is only able to reimburse for up to a year after the date of service.

Medical Expense Reimbursement Claim Form (PDF 834.48 KB)
Medical Prescription Reimbursement Claim Form (PDF 1.25 MB)

(Open the pdf forms and save to your computer. Print it, fill it out and mail or fax to us.)

How do I get durable medical equipment (W/C, shower chair, diapers etc)?

You will need to get a prescription from your primary care physician. This prescription is then faxed by your primary care physician into Preferred Home Health Care with medical documentation to support the need for this item. Once Preferred has all the necessary documentation and prescription they will fax it to UnitedHealthcare Community Plan for authorization if one is required.

What do I do if I get a bill?

If you receive a bill from a medical provider please first call the number at the bottom of the page ASAP. Make sure they are aware that you are enrolled in UnitedHealthcare Community Plan's Developmentally Disabled program and they have the correct ID number. If they have all that information and you are still in need of help please call 1-800-348-4058 for assistance.


Ready to get started?

Call Us:
TTY: 711

8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday - Friday

Lookup Tools

Behavioral Health

Learn more about our Behavioral Health Services.

Dentist Lookup

Find a dentist near you.

View Drug List

Find medications covered by this plan.

Pharmacy Search

Find a pharmacy near you. 

Member Information

Member Website

Already a member? You have access to our member-only website. Print ID cards, chat with a nurse online, and more.

Member Handbook

More Resources

Member Page

View more news, updates and resources for members.

Member Handbook