Fruits and vegetables are an important part of a healthy diet. Here are some tasty recipes for even the pickiest eaters that
are easy to make — and won’t break the bank.
1 cup canned black beans (½ can)
¼ cup salsa
1 cup grated low-fat cheese (4 ounces)
1 cup chopped frozen broccoli, cooked
4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
1. Drain beans and rinse.
2. Mash beans in large mixing bowl.
3. Add salsa, cheese and then broccoli to mashed beans. Mix well.
4. Coat skillet with cooking spray.
5. Lay tortilla flat on plate. Fill half with ¼ bean mix. Fold other half over mix.
6. Put folded tortilla in pan and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Flip and cook second half.
7. Remove from pan and cut in half.
8. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Dairy substitution: 1 cup grated soy- or rice-based cheese (4 ounces)
Wheat substitution: 4 8-inch corn tortillas
4 whole-wheat pitas
¼ cup low-sodium spaghetti or pizza sauce
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
1½ cups pineapple chunks packed in 100% juice, drained
⅓ cup chopped lean low-sodium ham
¾ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Heat oven to 400°. Put pitas on baking sheet. Spread each one with 1 tablespoon pizza sauce. Sprinkle with oregano. Top with pepper, pineapple, ham and cheese. Bake until cheese bubbles, about 5 minutes.
2 or 3 yellow squash or zucchini, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1½ tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450˚.
2. Put the yellow squash or zucchini into a mixing bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to coat the slices.
Then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper.
3. Arrange the yellow squash or zucchini onto a baking sheet in a single layer.
4. Bake in preheated oven until just tender, 12 to 15 minutes depending on thickness.
If you have any questions about your health plan, our member advocates are here for you. Just call 1-877-542-8997, TTY 711. Or visit us online at myuhc.com/CommunityPlan.
So many benefits to being a member.
No matter where you are in life, your plan has benefits and services designed to help you stay healthy.
Prevention is the best medicine.
Your annual wellness visit is an important part of your health care. It is included in your UnitedHealthcare health plan at no additional cost to you.