- Have realistic goals, and work your way up as you succeed.
- Set a time you’ll do it, and plan how much time you’ll spend.
Aim for 30 minutes a day.
You need at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity per day, most days of the week, to help burn extra calories. Give yourself credit for the things that you’re already doing, like climbing stairs, biking and walking.
Make exercise a part of your daily life.
Here are some easy ways to stay fit:
- Take your dog for a walk, or walk to the store.
- When doing errands, pick the farthest spot in the parking lot from the store.
- On the job, take regular breaks to stretch and walk around your workplace.
- Ride your bike or walk to school or work.
- Do something active on the weekend or in the evenings with your family.
- Go to the park with a friend.
- Help with yardwork or chores around the house.
- Exercise while watching TV.
- Take the stairs whenever you can.
- When you exercise, remember to drink lots of water — not high-sugar beverages.